April 2012

Monday, October 26, 2009

Monday, October 26, 2009

Bottle feeding has begun for the Snyder Triplets. We were able to start yesterday with all three of them. Carter was first and took in 6 cc of breastmilk via a premie bottle yesterday. However, he became pretty tuckered out and had some color changes (turned a little blue), so we had to take a break. Chloe and Cooper followed suit yesterday and also took 6 cc through a bottle, however they were able to handle the workload. The remaining portion of their feeding was given through their feeding tube. Today, all three had an improvement in their feeding via a bottle. Carter took 13 cc, Chloe and Cooper both took 11 cc without difficulty. We had a little scare today with Carter....as I was holding him later in the day during Kangaroo care, he lowered his oxygen level and became a little blue for a few seconds. The scare I find was just enough to remind us how fragile they still are. It may take them a few weeks to figure out how to breathe, suck and swallow during their feedings, as their brains are premature and they can forget to breathe - which is a little scary, even for a nurse!!! I witnessed another baby from our pod in the NICU leaving to go home and I was a bit sad as I would love to take my babies home. The good news is we have all been able to get lots of rest, so that way we'll be ready to care for them when they come home.

We included updated pictures - I love the one of where Jackson is using his stethoscope to listen to Carter and Chloe. I also love the one where it looks like Chloe and Cooper are about to kiss:-) Enjoy!!!

1 comment: